The duties of the Battalion Commander
- This position is the most demanding in the cadet battalion. The instructor staff selects the cadet for this position based upon demonstrated leadership ability and academic standing.
- The appointed cadet must able to apply common sense and judgement in the solving of problems that affect the entire cadet corps.
- The battalion commander must be mature, willing to accept responsibility, and able to effectively delegate authority and supervise subordinates.
- The battalion commander controls the staff through the battalion executive officer and the companies through the company commanders, while maintaining the final approval authority in the cadet chain of command.
- Command the battalion at all formations.
- Prepare for and conduct the training of the battalion on drill days.
- Maintain a direct and personal relationship with the staff and the company commanders.
- Encourage the company commanders to communicate freely.
- Use the staff to assist in gathering information and preparing plans for conducting training and controlling the battalion.
- Designate staff officers to assist in the preparation, execution, and supervision of orders.
- Ensure that feelings of mutual respect and confidence exist between the staff and company commanders.
- Ensure that staff members are capable and that they understand their responsibilities to the battalion commander, battalion executive officer, and to the corps of cadets.
- Ensure orders and actions are in compliance with JROTC regulations, policies, and directives and with local school regulations and policies.
- Execute all responsibilities in the name of the Senior Army Instructor; seek advice and assistance from the instructor staff and carry out all of their directives and quickly and completely.
- Arrange the required meetings and assemble the required command or staff personnel to determine any actions that may be necessary in fulfilling the obligations of the cadet battalion,
- Be prepared to evaluate any member of the battalion, but specifically the battalion headquarters personnel and the company commanders.
- Make operational decisions for the cadet battalion.
- Presides over officer calls.
- Work with school authorities in coordinating activities of the cadet battalion with the organizations of the school, ensuring that battalion activities are in the accordance with school policy.
- In coordination with the Senior Army Instructor, assign missions to all extra-curriculat team captains (e.g., drill team, color guard and raides,)
- Be responsible for all the battalion does or fails to do.